Nie & EU certificate

Nie & EU certificate


If you will have any professional, financial or social relation in Spain, the local regulation of the article 206 of the Regulations of Organic Law 4/2000, on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain and their social integration, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011, of 20 April require you to obtain the Foreigner Identification Number, known as NIE. This unique and personal number will be given to you in order to perform any type of legal action in Spain.

The NIE stands for ‘Nùmero de Indentidad de Extranjero’ so Foreigner Identification Number. Each EU citizen that wish to reside in Spain for more than three month, should register in the Spanish immigration office and obtain the registry certificate of EU citizen, that includes the NIE number. The certificate is issued immediately, and it would be our pleasure to assist you with all the process, from scheduling an appointment, preparing the documents and forms needed and accompany you to the immigration office.

The NIE number will allow you to:

  • Open a bank account,
  • Purchase a property,
  • Set up your own business,
  • Register in Social Security,
  • Work in Spain legally,
  • Work as a freelance,
  • Join your family in Spain, etc.

The application can be either done personally by the applicants in the nearest police station after they arrive to Spain or even in priori, in the Spanish Consulate of the country of their residence.

The application must be accompanied by:

1. Citizens of the EU:

  • Copy and original or the passport or identity card from the country of origin,
  • The Application Form (Form EX-15),
  • Fee Form (Form 790 – 012)

2. Citizens from outside of the EU:

  • Copy and original of the passport,
  • The Application Form (Form EX-15),
  • Fee Form (Form 790 – 012),
  • Certificate of Registration (‘Empadronamiento’)

In specific cases, some additional documents must be presented:

1. Working as a freelance: Registration in the Economic Activities Census or Registration in the Commercial Register or Document that accredits the inscription in the Spanish Social Security as an autonomous worker.

2. Working in Spain: Employment contract that confirms the registration in the Social Security as a worker in Spain.

3. Studying in Spain: European Health Card, proof of sufficient economic sources and the proof of enrolment in Spanish university. In case of Erasmus students, the proof of the participation in the program is enough.

We will schedule the appointment, prepare the documentation and assist you during the application, if needed.

Please contact us to learn more about this option!